In order to promote Maine’s high-demand careers, we started with the Maine Department of Labor’s Jobs in Demand list which includes data for over 100 careers.
However, we needed to start on a smaller number of jobs, so we created a formula to weigh the rate of growth, the wages, and the number of annual job openings for each. The result was the following list of 5 jobs for each education level: high school degree, associates degree or certificate, Bachelor’s degree, and higher degree.
We’ve included links to deeper details about each job provided by the U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net occupations website.
Of course, there are many ways to select the careers in highest demand here in Maine, and we look forward to learning about other methods, too.
High School degree
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products | Details
- Sales Representatives, Services, All Other | Details
- Lodging Managers | Details
- Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers | Details
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks | Details
Associate’s degree (or certificates)
- Registered Nurses | Details
- Dental Hygienists | Details
- Radiologic Technologists and Technicians | Details
- Surgical Technologists | Details
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics | Details
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts | Details
- Computer Systems Analysts | Details
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications | Details
- Business Operations Specialists, All Other | Details
- Accountants and Auditors | Details